I would speculate that it has happened because it was one of the most frequently used directories on the disk.
With that, when the glitch happened, something was writing to the directory,
and hence the directory was corrupted.

I assume all your image files were in subdirectories, and not in a single directory. Otherwise, I'd be guessing that Drobo might have some problem with a directory containing too many files. (32768=2^15, so, with 30k+ of files that you'd have in that, there could be some
16-bit-limit on the directory entries number)

Sorry to hear about your trouble and good luck with the restoring!
Hope it will go smoothly.

Igor