Igor PDML-StR wrote on 10/24/18 3:55 PM:

But I hear you that it would be nice to have the camera doing a more careful metering based on the entire image, not just a small portion. And to do that, essentially, in real time (as opposed to pre-metering, which is what happening now)
Unfortunately, as far as I understand, today's computing capabilities are
not fast enough (at least for the expected price range of the end product) to do the real-time metering and on the entire sensor.
I don't even know if the today's technology would be capable of doing
full-sensor pre-metering (in a reasonable time), while maintaining the
portable size of the camera and its battery(!). And that's yet before
the price discussion.

For my purposes, it doesn't need to be "real time". Use the current metering to get the first approximation, take a shot about two stops under exposed from that (to prevent clipping in most cases), as you read the data from the sensor to the memory tally the data on each site into (16) bins based on the top (4) bits. Based on that determine what percentage would be clipping at that exposure.

It takes no more time than processing a jpeg and displaying the preview and histogram, and I don't care if the process takes two seconds when I'm doing static scenes, it takes me longer than that to look at the histogram (which I wish was based on raw not JPEG data) and make the adjustment myself.

I'd just like to automate my own workflow when setting exposure and get it more accurate.

--
Larry Colen           l...@red4est.com          http://red4est.com/lrc
https://www.flickr.com/photos/ellarsee/collections/72157612824732477/