Godfrey, then it must have been a year ago then. They were pushing the
impending release with a big social media and blogging sites campaign
and urging folks to give the beta a test as it was to be released
shortly.

You don't _make_ a layered file in Lightroom. You receive one back
into Lightroom from an external editor, like Photoshop.

Example: starting in Lightroom with a DNG file in your library, you
invoke Edit-in Photoshop. That sends the file to Photoshop where it
appears as a single layer in a freshly opened file.

You edit this. Create some adjustment layers. Now Save.

That sends the edited copy of the file back to Lightroom as a layered
TIFF where it appears in the catalog as a new file. I stack that with
the original for less confusion.

If you re-edit that edited TIFF you will find that the entire thing is
there intact with all layers, meta info, etc.

Clear?

--
-bmw