Well I don't think that Pentax would want to market a "big" 35mm SLR.
Remember that a 645 weighs as much as an f5 or EOS-1v HS.  Actually someone
mention that an f5 with a 28-70 f2.8 weight MORE than a 645 with the new
33-55 & 55-110 lenses.  Why should a 35mm slr weigh so much?

While I do believe that Pentax will be marketing a camera above the MZ-S, it
will be more like the MZ-S (or LX) than the Z1p. The Z1p wasn't that
successful.  Plus why make a camera the exact same as N or C?  No one will
buy it;  they'll buy a C or N.

I really think that Pentax broke new ground with the MZ-S in terms of
design.  They made a metal-bodied, PRO level camera very light and small.
For the new flagship, I hope that it will be the small & light but also
modular:  if you want a booster for high FPS, then it can be added OR
removed (with various power sources).  A smaller battery grip should be
optional.  Just like the LX...

Galen Rowell wrote an article in OP called "knowing when less is more."  The
bottom line is that he wanted a study, light and small pro SLR from C or N
for travelling, climbing, etc.  The F100 was an attempt, but is still a
little chubby.  Note that Galen uses an N/F80 for light, quick jaunts
(weighs the same as an MZ-S).

While pro tripods & tripod heads are much lighter now (AND just as sturdy),
pro level 35mm cameras by C, N, & M keep putting on weight...

I think that Pentax are two steps ahead...shhhhhhh don't tell!  : )