I see it neither as feature nor flaw. iOS devices are not generalized, all
purpose computers, at least not until the next iOS (and iPadOS) ships. They
were designed first for wireless communications with personal security, all
else is second to that. Judging them by the standards of general purpose
computing devices when it come to file management isn’t really sensible until
iOS becomes appropriately generalized and supports arbitrary file IO like those
computers are designed to.