This is an interesting thread, thanks for starting it.

There’s a company in my area that sells used macs, I recently upgraded my 2009
mac pro to a 2015 trashcan, and now have a 2015 15” MBP for my mobile photo
needs and when I was given a broken 2016 13”, I traded it for a 2015 13”.
Long story short, IMHO if you are buying used, 2015 is the sweet spot of price,
performance and upgradeability.  After that, things started getting soldered
down.

In general, processor needs (and performance) have not increased nearly as much
as RAM and drive requirements.  Also, it seems that the big advantage of Apple
silicon is with RAM on chip, bus speeds are that much higher. On top of that, I
have not seen any indication that camera raw files are going to be getting any
smaller, whether or not someone needs a 75MP raw file to post a 1920x1080 JPEG
on facebook.

In short, I agree with Ralf, prioritize RAM (and drive space) over processor
speed.

As to screen size, I briefly had a 13” MBP a few years back that I tried to use
for processing.  I returned it after my first photo trip, it was just too small
to be useful, and that was before my eyesight took a sharp decline.  As to
whether to get an MBP or a mini, you can use a laptop as a desktop machine a
lot easier than you can use a desktop machine on the road.  Every so often I’ll
do a photo gig on the road when I want to at least look at things, and likely
do some processing, and it really helps to own at least one laptop that is able
to handle that.

FWIW, my work setup is a laptop with external keyboard and two desktop
monitors, and in the office I treat the laptop like a desktop machine.

My home photo setup is two 2560x1440 displays, one horizontal, one vertical.  I
think that my next setup is going to be a single, large (36”?) 3840x2160 (quad
HD basically) display.  If you pair that with an open laptop display that would
be a great combination, but you don’t even need the second display unless you
want to put all of your menus over on that.

--
Larry Colen
l...@red4est.com  sent from ret4est

--