> On Sep 4, 2014, at 2:18 PM, Frederik Stjernfelt <stj...@hum.ku.dk> wrote:
>
> Interaction seems to me to be a far wider concept than communication. Any
> possible empirical event involves energy exchange, that is, interaction. To
> me, it dilutes the concept of communication almost to insignificance to
> identify it with interaction tout court.

I suspect we’re talking semantics. I don’t care which words we use so long as
we’re all clear on what we mean by them in this context. To me communication is
broad, but perhaps that’s just from having worked on too much computer
networking.

My own linguistic use (which I’m not committed to it as I noted) is that
interaction is secondness and communication is thirdness. To me communication
involves communicating something through some medium. However since my
background is physics I tend to see properties or states as being what’s
communicated. This especially makes sense once you start talking about the
physics of a black hole.

Anyway while obviously secondness and thirdness are closely related, it seems
fair to keep them separated. To me communication is mediated while interaction
is the raw encountered without consideration of the mediation.

Thanks for clarifying. As in so many of these things, getting clear our
definitions makes things much easier to understand.