List, Jeff:

(NB: This message contains technical arguments that may be incomprehensible to
non-technical readers.)

Your paragraph (see below) is mathematically precise, well almost so because of
the profound restriction that is placed on the rhetorical space of its
applicability may exclude/obscure some of CSP's meanings.  It has taken a few
days to parse the meaning of your arguments in relation to CSP writings.

The restriction becomes profound when you limit the nature of antecedent chains
to "ALL regularities".

CSP does NOT restrict the triadic triad,

qualisign, sinsign, legisign,
icon, index, symbol,
rhema, dicisign, argument,

to regularity of inference chains.

A mathematic chain, (as either a short exact chain or a long exact chain as
used in topology), defines a linear sequence of points/symbols/ numbers.
The meaning of mathematical term "chain" is an analogy because the visual
images of a real (mechanical, visible) chains with increasing number of links
is an appropriate analogy.
The extension from "chains" to "inference chains" is problematic for the
natural sciences, which differ from mathematics.

The natural sciences differ from mathematics by the intrinsic irregularities
(that is, non-regular) of form.

CSP's "triadic triad" does not demand "regular chains".
The distinction between regularity and irregularity is clear from the sub-triad
"indices, rhema and dicisign." as well as CSP's beta-graphs, which do not
require the concept of chains.

Is it possible that CSP's definitions were framed to account for both regular
and irregular chains?

Two facts suggest that this possibility exists.
One fact is the well-known phenomena of many possible branches of chemical
isomers where the number of possible isomers depends on the length of the
chains of each branch (as well as the quantities of valences of each atom).
CSP used this fact in his development of the rhetoric linking icons to rhema
and rhema to indices.

The second fact is less well known but was well known to CSP.  This is fact
that the "handedness" of molecules (measurable by the relations of light to
matter) is a function of the icon of the molecule.  These relations are highly
irregular, not predictable, and dependent on the branching of the irregular
chains of indices of the atoms.

So, Jeff, my question to you is:

How do these facts influence your beliefs about the relationships between
mathematics and CSP notion of inferences?

Cheers

Jerry

Postscript: By the way, Jeff, these arguments are related to logical problems
in solving higher-order polynomials.