Gary R., John, Lists,

Here is what Peirce says in his essay on Telepathy (CP 7.604) as he tries to
clarify the division he is drawing between percept and perceptual judgment:

Analysis of the experience of the chair as it appears before me now.
a.      The chair I appear to see makes no professions of any kind.
b.      It essentially embodies no intentions of any kind.
c.      It does not stand for anything.
d.      It obtrudes itself upon my gaze, but not as a deputy of something else,
not as anything.
e.      It is very insistent, for all its silence.
f.      It would be useless for me to say “I don’t believe in the chair.”
g.      It disturbs be, more less.
h.      I can’t dismiss is, as I would a fancy
i.      I can only get rid of it by an exertion of physical force.
j.      It is a forceful thing.  Yet it offers no reason, defence, or excuse
for its presence (in my experience, in its existence).
k.      It does not pretend to any right to be there.
l.      It silently forces itself upon me (no further brute cause of which this
seems to be the effect).
m.      Such is the precept.

Key question:  now, what is its logical bearing upon knowledge and belief?
This can be summed up in three precepts:
1.  It contributes something positive (the chair has four legs, a back, a
yellow color, a green cushion.  Each of these things is a predicate of the
subject “this thing.”  To learn that the subject actually has these predicates
is a contribution to our belief and knowledge).
2.  It compels the perceiver to acknowledge it.
3.  It neither offers any reason for such acknowledgement nor makes any
pretension to reasonableness.

Taking these points together, it appears to me that the first part consists in
an analysis of what appears to us when we see something like a pillow sitting
on a chair.  The analysis seems to be guided by the phenomenological account of
the elemental categories.  The second part, where he formulates the three
precepts, looks to me like a hypothesis about the nature of the percept.

Gary claims that the percept is a rhematic iconic qualisign, but Peirce claims
in (c) that percepts do not stand for anything else.  As such, they are not
representations.  Later in this essay, however, Peirce characterizes the
percipuum as an interpretation of the percept.  In order for the percipuum to
be an interpretation of the percept, doesn't the percept have to function as
some kind of representamen?

How can we reconcile the apparent tension between claims that Peirce is making
about the nature of the percept and its relation to the percipuum and the
perceptual judgment?

--Jeff

Jeff Downard
Associate Professor