Stefan, all,

I think that there's much to be said for your suggestion of our jettisoning
'truth' and replacing it with 'knowledge', at least in science. There are,
I believe, strong hints of this notion in Peirce as well, for example, here:

When our logic shall have paid its *devoirs* to Esthetics and the Ethics,
it will be time for it to settle down to its regular business. That
business is of a varied nature; but so far as I intend in this place to
speak of it, it consists in ascertaining methods of sound reasoning, and of
proving that they are sound, not by any instinctive guarantee, but because
it can be shown by the kinds of reasoning already considered, especially
the mathematical, of one class of reasonings that they follow methods
which, persisted in, must eventually lead to the truth in regard to those
problems to which they are applicable,* or, if not to the absolute truth,
to an indefinite approximation thereto, while in regard to another class of
reasonings, although they are so insecure that no reliance can be placed
upon them, it will be shown in a similar way that yet they afford the only
means of attaining to a satisfactory knowledge of the truth, in case this
knowledge is ever to be attained at all, doing so by putting problems into
such form that the former class of reasonings become applicable to them.*
This prospectus of how I am to proceed is sufficient to show that there can
be no ground of reasonable complaint that unwarranted assumptions are made
in the course of the discussion. Nothing will be assumed beyond what every
sincere and intelligent person will and must confess is perfectly evident
and which, in point of fact, is not really doubted by any caviller
(CP2.200, emphasis added).

These hints follow naturally from the principle of fallibility, and from
the knowledge that pragmatism is offered by Peirce as but a method of
*asymptotically
approaching the truth* of any matter being inquired into, the communities
of scientists correcting errors along the way. Still, on the way to
scientific knowledge societies may discover laws invaluable for developing
tools of at least potential value to humanity and to the earth and its
inhabitants, for example, the technologies which led to the development of
the internet or, my personal favorite, modern plumbing.

That we can misuse these tools and technologies, and do so today as we have
throughout human history, is an ethical matter (quite distinct from the
ethics of scientific inquiry which Peirce addresses).

Best,

Gary

.

*Gary Richmond*