  From: Helmut Raulien
  To: peirce-l@list.iupui.edu
  Sent: Saturday, October 04, 2014 6:15 PM
  Subject: Aw: Re: [PEIRCE-L] RE: [biosemiotics:7077] iconic commitment (was:
Natural Propositions, Chapter 3.6)

  I suspect, that in this quote Peirce meant "sign" for "representamen", and by
writing "whether they be..." he meant "whether their object relation was...".
This is inaccurate by Peirce. Edwina writes more accurately, and is right, I
think: With "Sign" (first letter capital) she means the whole sign, and with
"sign" (first letter small) representamen. "Icon", "index", "symbol" are not
"Signs", but possible object relations with a "sign", and therefore also
possible object relations within a "Sign". But a "Sign" consists of three
relations (sign-sign, sign-object, sign-interpretant)(and a "sign" has three
relations: with sign, object, and interpretant), of which the object relation
is only one third. I hope I have got it right, it is not unconfusing.