Mary, lists,

Thank for encouraging the further discussion of Chapter 9 since I agree
with you that it is very rich, especially when considered in relation to
the chapters preceding it, something which you nicely outlined in your post.

I'm afraid I don't have time to respond to your several interesting points
and intriguing questions (except for one: see below). But I sincerely hope
that you and Jeff and others (hopefully, Frederik, too) will plunge into
such considerations of EGs as you've pointed to.

I would also like to encourage anyone, who may be wondering at Frederik's
seemingly narrow concentration on lines of identity and selectives in
considering iconicity in relation to EGs, to read a long footnote he writes
beginning on p. 215. Here he both gives reasons for his particular emphasis
(which, he shows, is also Peirce's), as well as noting other iconicity
issues in graphs. Halfway through the note he summarizes Pietarinen's
response to Shin who had argued against Peirce's outside-in reading of
graphs, reversing the directionality of graph reading (I must admit that I
was unable to fully grasp Shin's argument in her first book, and laid it
aside, unfinished).

Frederik concludes this footnote by highlighting one of Pietarinen's
strongest arguments in defense of Peirce's endoporeutic (out-side in)
position against Shin's reverse approach. Pietarinen offers several other
reasons to prefer Peirce's approach to Shin's, for example that her
rewriting of Peirce's inference rules adds "many more rules and connectors
than does Peirce's own system" (even if Shin's approach offers greater
readability on some points--something Gary Fuhrman noted earlier: that
greater iconicity doesn't *necessarily* facilitate readability).

But the principal reason he highlights, involving the Graphist and
Grapheus, may be of particular interest to you, Mary, in the sense in which
you brought it up in your post (as I recall, Bernard Morand was also keenly
interested in this aspect of EGs). Frederik writes:

Pietarinen highlights a further and very basic feature in [EGs]: the
dialogic structure , rhythmically changing between a Graphist and a
Grapheus, responsible for existentially and universally quantified
propositions, respectively, and thus responsible for taking turns in a
dialogue where each of them manipulates the graph according to Peirce's
rules. [. . .] Here, we may emphasize the basic iconicity inherent in this
conversational structure of the graphs, motivated in the supposed
dialogical structure of thought, be it between persons or between positions
in one person's thought or mind. (NP 215)

So, yes, there's a wealth of possibilities for discussion relating to
Chapter 8 and EGs, and I hope that you, Jeff, of course Frederik, and
others plunge into it. I'll "pop in" when feasible.

Best,

Gary R

[image: Gary Richmond]

*Gary Richmond*