Gary, list,

I am curious about this. It's a subject where I've tripped up before. It apparently has to do with Peirce's removing the rule whereby 'there is something blue or round' is equivalent to 'there is something blue or there is something round'. That's also to remove the rule where by 'all is blue and round' is equivalent to 'all is blue and all is round'. Those are among the rules http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rules_of_passage_%28logic%29 now known in logic as 'rules of passage' (so dubbed by Herbrand). To remove one of them seems to be to remove all of them. My questions, for you or Frederik or whomever, are: (1) How is one to think of 'all is blue and round' as differing in meaning from 'all is blue and all is round' ? Does one of them imply, without being implied by, the other? (2) Doesn't this change make the Beta graphs non-equivalent to first-order logic? Or is this really a change for the purpose of Gamma graphs? I'm no logician, so I may be confused here.

Best, Ben