List, Ben:

citing HP:
>> HP: This "strange rule" illustrates Poincaré's criticism of logic as an
>> impoverishment of natural language that can neither count nor tell time.

With respect to the contrast between mathematics and logic, a sharper argument
is possible.

A priori, mathematicians tend to profess that mathematics does not relate to
the real world, the qualia of mathematics are held to relate only to
mathematical qualia and nothing else.  Hilbert professed to a mathematics as a
symbolic game; no reality necessary, no meaning necessary, just symbolic
manipulations with rules.

Thus, the pure mathematics of Poincare does not recognize the quale of time per
se, just a continuous variable.

By way of contrast, the entelechy of applied mathematics demands a
correspondence of meaning between the objects of the world and the symbols used
as representations of the world.

Thus, within this context of meaning of symbols, CSP's realism and pragmaticism
leads to writings that generally view mathematics as applied.  Numerous
exceptions, of course.

Cheers

Jerry