Dear Ben, lists,

I strongly appreciate the persistent work Ben has been doing in tracing out,
over many postings, the implications of Peirce's problems with the "strange
rule". I think Ben is quite correct in locating the ambiguity in the quantifier
"some", taken to mean sometimes "a certain one", sometimes  "some - one or
several".
But I think there may lie a further reason behind this - linked to Ben's
reinterpretation in terms of modal logic where a necessity operator
distinguishes the two cases otherwise identified by the "strange rule". When
introducing his discussion of the "strange rule" in the April 1906 note, Peirce
connects it to a modal observation:  " … I soon discovered, upon a critical
analysis, that it was absolutely necessary to insist upon and bring to the
front, the truth that a mere possibility may be quite real." Why does he do
that, as the bankruptcy-suicide inference is ordinary first order logic without
any modal semantics on the surface? I think it is because what Peirce would
like to catch is the meaning of that sentence (taken in ordinary language) that
there is a causal-tendency link between the bankruptcy of husbands and the
suicides of their wives. So that the wife-suicide is a "real possibility"
actualized by the husband-bankruptcy. This is obviously indicated by saying
that a "certain one" wife commits suicide if HER husband etc. This is not full
necessity, but "real possibility" (because other wives with bankrupt husbands
may escape suicide even if threatened by it as a real possibility). So - I
think - Peirce's idea is that the strange rule equates the "mere possibility"
of "There is some married woman who will commit suicide in case A husband fails
in business."  with the real possibility in the claim connecting the two:
"There is some married woman who will commit suicide in case HER husband fails
in business." - which he did not like because he wanted to distinguish those
two types of possibilities.
Of course, real possibility is not logic, it is material ontology not even
captured by standard modal logic.
As Ben rightly indicated, this unease comes from reading more (ordinary
language) meaning into logical expressions than their formal definition allows
for. But simultaneously, this excessive meaning is scientifically important -
the mature Peirce, after 1897, seeing "real possibilities" as implied by
scientific laws, regularities, tendencies, patterns etc., regarding how certain
predicates, more or less strongly, determine others. This can not be logically
expressed in any simple way, and I think that was what tormented Peirce …

Best