Thread:
JA:http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.science.philosophy.peirce/16523
HR:http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.science.philosophy.peirce/16550
JA:http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.science.philosophy.peirce/16551
HR:http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.science.philosophy.peirce/16572
HR:http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.science.philosophy.peirce/16573
HR:http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.science.philosophy.peirce/16595

Re: Relation Reduction : Examples of Projectively Reducible Relations
http://intersci.ss.uci.edu/wiki/index.php/Relation_reduction#Examples_of_projectively_reducible_relations

Helmut, List,

I constructed the "Ann and Bob" example back when I was enrolled in
a Systems Engineering program and had to explain how sign relations
would naturally come up in building intelligent systems possessed of
a capacity for inquiry.  My adviser asked me for a simple, concrete,
but not wholly trivial example of a sign relation and after cudgeling
my wits for a while this is what fell out.  Up till then I had never
much considered finite examples before since the cases that arise in
logic always have formal languages with infinite numbers of elements
in their syntactic domains if not also in their object domains.

Now, the first thing that we need to get clear about is that
there are two sign relations being described in this example:

L_A is the sign relation that captures how Ann interprets the signs in
S = I = {"Ann", "Bob", "I", "you") to denote objects in O = {Ann, Bob}.

L_B is the sign relation that captures how Bob interprets the signs in
S = I = {"Ann", "Bob", "I", "you") to denote objects in O = {Ann, Bob}.

Each of the sign relations, L_A and L_B, contains 8 triples of the form
(o, s, i) where o is an object in the object domain O, s is a sign in the
sign domain S, and i is an interpretant sign in the interpretant domain I.
These triples would be called "elementary" or "individual" sign relations,
as distinguished from the "general" sign relations that generally contain
many sign relational triples.

It's a little harder to carry out this discussion in plain text,
without the proper formatting required to distinguish different
uses of various letters, especially "I" and "i", but if this much
is clear we can move on to discuss the two types of reducibility
and irreducibility that arise in semiotics.

But I will have to break for dinner first ...

Jon

On 7/1/2015 3:45 PM, Helmut Raulien wrote:
Jon, List,
I am referring to the second link of yours: "Relation reduction", the second
example with A (Ann), B (Bob) u (you), i (I), resp. the representations of them,
representation indicated by quotation marks, eg. "A" instead of A. My question
is: Isnt it about a set of possible relations, instead of about one relation? To
say, that the set of possible triadic relations is reducible to three sets of
possible dyadic relations, that does not have to mean, that one triadic relation
is reducible to three special dyadic relations, does it?
Best,
Helmut

*Von:* "Jon Awbrey" <[email protected]>
Helmut, List,

The facts about relational reducibility are relatively easy
to understand and I included links to relevant discussions
in my initial posting on relation theory:

• Survey of Relation Theory
( 
http://inquiryintoinquiry.com/2015/05/16/survey-of-relation-theory-%E2%80%A2-1/ 
)

The following article discusses relational reducibility and
irreducibility in general terms and gives concrete examples
of reducible and irreducible triadic relations of the sort
we find in mathematics and semiotics, illustrating the two
types of reducibility that usually come up in discussions
of the sort that most concern us here:

• Relation Reduction
( http://intersci.ss.uci.edu/wiki/index.php/Relation_reduction )

These examples were introduced in the other articles on
triadic relations and sign relations and I believe that
one could learn a lot from their careful consideration:

• Triadic Relations
( http://intersci.ss.uci.edu/wiki/index.php/Triadic_relation )

• Sign Relations
( http://intersci.ss.uci.edu/wiki/index.php/Sign_relation )

Regards,

Jon


--

academia: http://independent.academia.edu/JonAwbrey
my word press blog: http://inquiryintoinquiry.com/
inquiry list: http://stderr.org/pipermail/inquiry/
isw: http://intersci.ss.uci.edu/wiki/index.php/JLA
oeiswiki: http://www.oeis.org/wiki/User:Jon_Awbrey
facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/JonnyCache
-----------------------------
PEIRCE-L subscribers: Click on "Reply List" or "Reply All" to REPLY ON PEIRCE-L 
to this message. PEIRCE-L posts should go to [email protected] . To 
UNSUBSCRIBE, send a message not to PEIRCE-L but to [email protected] with the 
line "UNSubscribe PEIRCE-L" in the BODY of the message. More at 
http://www.cspeirce.com/peirce-l/peirce-l.htm .




Reply via email to