“An -ism never did much for science, except for prism.”
 
LOL 
😊 
 
Reminds me of the Coppola line from Apocalypse,
 
"'If' is the middle term of 'life'"
 
 
> Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2015 09:50:31 -0400
> From: [email protected]
> To: [email protected]
> CC: [email protected]
> Subject: [PEIRCE-L] Re: Survey of Relation Theory • 1
> 
> Helmut, List,
> 
> A day in the yard meditatively pulling weeds helped me to clear my head and
> I think I can see where this all went agley.  I still think that what Harry
> wrote is an apt statement of a critical point in Peirce's theory of signs
> and I'm sorry if I stepped on it with my nonce-ens words about “ontologism”
> so I'll put off the long version explanation of that to another time.
> 
> On Edwina's prompting I did take the trouble to look the word up
> and I see that it really was already in use, however obscurely,
> at least to a non-mediæval scholar like me:
> 
> ☞ http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/11257a.htm
> 
> “Ontologism is an ideological system which maintains that God and Divine ideas
> are the first object of our intelligence and the intuition of God the first 
> act
> of our intellectual knowledge.”
> 
> Although I can dimly see, or imagine a link between that ideology
> and the ideology I was trying to criticize I think it's probably
> best to avoid conflating the two ideas and so I'll go back to
> using words like “essentialism” that I've used before, as in
> this record of an earlier discussion:
> 
> ☞ Nominalism and Essentialism are the Scylla and Charybdis that Pragmatism 
> Must Navigate Its Middle Way Between
> ( 
> http://inquiryintoinquiry.com/2012/09/21/nominalism-and-essentialism-are-the-scylla-and-charybdis-that-pragmatism-must-navigate-its-middle-way-between/
>  
> )
> 
> A famous physicist whose name I've forgotten
> once said something to the following effect:
> 
> “An -ism never did much for science, except for prism.”
> 
> To prism I'd add pragmatism and maybe schism but the point is that
> I almost always speak of isms in a critical vein, as emphases that
> have closed out their complementary emphases or as ideologies that
> have taken their initial idea a bridge too far.  So I was thinking
> of the series ontology, ontologist, ontologism on analogy with the
> series science, scientist, scientism.
> 
> So it's perfectly okay to say that relations exist in the world and
> you can even say that thirdness is the essence of triadic relations,
> meaning that all triadic relations have a property in common that
> you might as well call “thirdness” as anything else, but when you
> turn to saying that thirdness inheres in one of the places of the
> relation and not the others then that is a matter of another sort
> and it does not automatically follow.  Here we risk what I have
> called the “Fallacy Of Misplaced Essence” (FOME) and avoiding
> that takes quite a bit more care.
> 
> Regards,
> 
> Jon
> 
> On 6/20/2015 2:42 PM, Helmut Raulien wrote:
> > Jon, Harry, List,
> > Is ontologism really the problem? John Deely says, that relations are
> > ontological (so also the triadic relations). Does the FOO claim, that 
> > concepts
> > (eg. mind-relations of relations) are not a part of reality? But to say, 
> > that
> > concepts are part of reality, even in inanimate nature there are concepts 
> > too,
> > or even to say, that maybe conceptuality is a synonym for reality, would be 
> > a
> > kind of ontologism that is in accord with Peirce, or not?
> > Best,
> > Helmut
>  >
> > "Jon Awbrey" <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Harry, List,
> >
> > Yes, that is the core idea of Peirce's approach to semiotics,
> > critical to his theory of inquiry and the whole perspective
> > of pragmatism. For the past 15 years or so, unfortunately,
> > I've watched the "fashion of ontologism" (FOO) obscure his
> > central insights. I can but hope that the days of FOO are
> > numbered and will quickly fade into fadish oblivion.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Jon
> >
> > On 6/20/2015 6:51 AM, Harry Procter wrote:
> >> A sign is only a sign to the extent it is construed or interpreted as
> >> a sign. This interpretation connects the sign vehicle with the object.
> >> The three parts are interdependent and only assume their identity in
> >> the context of the three. A truly triadic systemic formulation.
> >> Best,
> >> Harry Procter
> >>
> >>> -----Original Message-----
> >>> From: Jon Awbrey [mailto:[email protected]]
> >>> Sent: 19 June 2015 20:40
> >>> To: Helmut Raulien
> >>> Cc: Peirce List
> >>> Subject: [PEIRCE-L] Re: Survey of Relation Theory • 1
> >>>
> >>> Helmut, List,
> >>>
> >>> I wasn't completely sure about the meaning of your question:
> >>>
> >>> • "Are interpretants an own class?"
> >>>
> >>> Is "own" a translation of "eigen" maybe?
> >>>
> >>> At any rate I went with my best guess and took you to be asking whether
> >>> interpretants (and the other two classes) were ontologically distinctive 
> >>> in
> >>> some way. I rewrote my last reply as a blog post with this interpretation
> >>> in mind:
> >>>
> >>> • Relations & Their Relatives : 9
> >>> ( http://inquiryintoinquiry.com/2015/06/19/relations-their-relatives-9/ )
> >>>
> >>> Please let me know if my reading of your sense is right or not.
> >>>
> >>> Regards,
> >>>
> >>> Jon
> 
> -- 
> 
> academia: http://independent.academia.edu/JonAwbrey
> my word press blog: http://inquiryintoinquiry.com/
> inquiry list: http://stderr.org/pipermail/inquiry/
> isw: http://intersci.ss.uci.edu/wiki/index.php/JLA
> oeiswiki: http://www.oeis.org/wiki/User:Jon_Awbrey
> facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/JonnyCache
                                          
-----------------------------
PEIRCE-L subscribers: Click on "Reply List" or "Reply All" to REPLY ON PEIRCE-L 
to this message. PEIRCE-L posts should go to [email protected] . To 
UNSUBSCRIBE, send a message not to PEIRCE-L but to [email protected] with the 
line "UNSubscribe PEIRCE-L" in the BODY of the message. More at 
http://www.cspeirce.com/peirce-l/peirce-l.htm .




Reply via email to