Jon, Lists,

I think that rationalism normally and traditionally means accepting that there
are truths that can be known a priori that are not merely matters of
convention. This can allow for truths that don't require knowledge of any
specific particular instances to know, but require knowledge of some particular
instances. At the very least that is how I understand the term, and it is the
basis for the distinction between rationalists and empiricists. But reason and
observation can certainly complement each other in both cases. Philosophies
rejecting reason in other aspects than the epistemological sense above do
exist. Some versions of existentialism and of postmodernism fit that bill. They
tend to focus on unfortunate and even destructive uses of reason (a useful type
of scepticism, I think, when done in what Hume called the academic mode), but
less useful I think when the critiques is grounded in a rejection of the
association of reason with power, as when some feminists adopt antirationalism
(in this sense) as masculine and demeaning to women. I think this gets more
into psychological and social issues than philosophical ones, though there is
no clear boundary between the two. The extremes of each are fairly different,
however. I think men appropriated reason (and religion, and a number of other
sources of power) rather than their being strictly masculine, as we see in some
world views, for example some interpretations of Yin and Yang. There is enough
empirical connection there to make the assimilation fit observation, but I
think this is only because of the appropriation, e.g., of reason by men, is
widespread.

Isms tend to exaggerate tendencies, so I would agree that they can be
systematically misleading, but there are also real historical characters who
occupy the various isms, even if only in their systematic writing. One thing I
have always liked about Peirce is that although he is systematic
methodologically (as a virtue), he is not obsessed with consistency in this
trend, and isn't afraid of tensions in his thinking. His fallibilism and some
other isms he adopts are all tentative hypotheses rather than a priori truths,
as Gary recently noted.

John Collier
Professor Emeritus, UKZN
http://web.ncf.ca/collier