JA:http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.science.philosophy.peirce/17640
JC:http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.science.philosophy.peirce/17642
JBD:http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.science.philosophy.peirce/17644
JA:http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.science.philosophy.peirce/17645
JC:http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.science.philosophy.peirce/17646
JA:http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.science.philosophy.peirce/17648
JC:http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.science.philosophy.peirce/17658

John, all,

I think that feature of à priori reasoning is handled well enough by Peirce's
concept of exact reasoning, where we achieve exact conclusions (numerators) by
working relative to prior hypotheses (denominators), achieving at most a form
of self-consistency.  Still, the formal models we form in that manner can be
applied to empirical phenomena to much good effect.

I think here of Chomsky (who understood Peirce better than most I've read).
The brand of rationalism he promoted is essential to the generative aspect
of grammar.

Regards,

Jon