Clark, Søren, lists,

Peirce said:

" . . . While every physical process can be reverse without violation of
the law of mechanics,                        (112315-1)
the law of habit forbids such reversal. '  (CP 8.318)

I am glad you quoted this statement because I wanted to make a comment on
it when I first read it about a year ago somewhere in CP but could not find
it again.

It seems to me that the first sentence of this this statement is false even
based on our common experience: Evaporated perfume cannot be put back into
a bottle.  As we all now know the physical law forbidding the reversal of
evaporated perfume is called the Second Law of Thermodynamics, and there
developed a whole field of scientific studies during the 20th Century on
such processes called IRREVERSIBLE thermodynamics, for the contribution to
the establishment of which I. Prigogine (1917-2003) was awarded a Nobel
Prize in 1977.

If this interpretation is correct, the validity of the second sentence in
(112315-1) seems weakened considerably, although not totally removed, since
it can stand on its own as an assertion with or without any supporting
scientific evidence.

All the best.

Sung

On Sun, Nov 22, 2015 at 11:18 PM, CLARK GOBLE <cl...@lextek.com> wrote:

> On Nov 20, 2015, at 1:01 PM, Søren Brier <sb....@cbs.dk> wrote:
>
> I agree but Peirce is integrating it with an emptiness ontology inspired
> by Buddhism. Hartshorne describes it as his  Buddhisto-Christianism. Bishop
> writes a paper on Peirce and Eastern Thought. See my
> Pure  Zero paper attached.
>

> I just finished it. Very interesting. I hadn’t known that Peirce was
> connected with Suzuki before. (Again as I said I know just enough Buddhism
> to be dangerous but not enough to really be able to say much)
>
> One tangental comment that came to mind in one of your quotes. You have
> Peirce commenting on his famous relationship of mind and matter.
>
> I believe the law of habit to be purely psychical. But then I suppose
> matter is merely mind deadened by the development of habit. While every
> physical process can be reverse without violation of the law of mechanics,
> the law of habit forbids such reversal. (CP 8.318)
>
> I assume here meaning we can’t lose a habit once developed. Does Peirce
> ever defend this position? I confess it seems a dubious position to hold
> although I understand why his ontology requires it.
>
> On much else I’ve taken Peirce, contra say the scientific realists, to
> reject any kind of convergence. That is there can be periods of rapid
> development and then because of fallibilism falling away or change. To use
> the metaphors James Burke famously did in the 70’s and 80’s about science,
> it is less convergence than pinball process.
>
> That’s always seemed more persuasive as a view of habit-forming too. Yet
> the reversibility is something that in at least a few places Peirce denies.
>
> Of course Peirce is inconsistent on this in certain ways. After all he
> conceives of belief as habit yet the ability to change belief entails the
> ability to reverse habit. So I’m never quite sure how to take this. In
> practice it seems sufficient to merely accept that some habits are more
> ingrained than others. Habits as laws are much less reversible. With
> Peirce’s conception of substance (at least in his early period) as
> extremely congealed habit.
>
> At the end of your paper you say,
>
> Like the Buddhists, Peirce sees this order as no-thing. Niemoczynsk (2011)
> shows that both Eckhart and Böhme posited a pre-personal ground within
> God’s own being, where this ground was called “the godhead” or “the abyss”.
> It contains infinite potential, the absolute freedom to be, and even the
> will or desire to be.
>

> Which order are you speaking of here? Plotinus, among the neoplatonists
> has two classes of absolute otherness. On the one is the One which is pure
> potency and the origin of all the emanations. Yet somewhat following
> Aristotle he has matter as pure privation which is also absolutely Other.
> Peirce makes a similar move in his early works with pure Being to pure
> Substance and his three categories in between. In the quote you have in
> [...]

Sungchul Ji, Ph.D.

Associate Professor of Pharmacology and Toxicology
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology
Ernest Mario School of Pharmacy
Rutgers University
Piscataway, N.J. 08855
732-445-4701