John,

You said:

The physicalism stems from the Pragmatic Maxim, which makes any difference
> in meaning depend on a difference in possible experience together with
> Quine’s idea that the physical is just what we can experience. I take it
> that the last is also Peirce’s view, and he is no materialist.

I've been trying to figure this one out for myself, but am having some
trouble, in particular with the "idea that the physical is just what we can
experience." Would you be willing to clarify how you mean this? Is physical
opposed to mental, and thus the mental is not something we can experience?
And/or the spiritual? Or would you include mental and/or spiritual as
subdivisions of the physical? My sense of physicalism, aside from your
characterization, is that it's the idea that what is real is whatever
physics discovers or says is real, which is quite different from what you
are suggesting. I hope that you can understand my concern. After all,
clearly an idealist could just as easily say that what is mental is
whatever we can experience, and I think you can understand that idea.
What's the point of calling all of experience one or the other?

-- Franklin