Jerry,

I think you are making this seem more mysterious than it is. My understanding
is that degeneracy means that there is a restriction from the general case
(generate) to a less than general case. This is how Robert Rosen, e.g., uses
the notion, and I don't see any good reason to think that Peirce is using it
any differently. Basically, something is degenerate if it obscures generic
differences in the way it can be produced. If we treat the degenerate as
general, then we will be likely to make bad inferential extensions to general
cases by overlooking crucial differences in the general cases.

In the passage from Peirce that you quote below, by way of Clark, I think the
distinction is that the degenerate seconds consider them in terms of their form
alone, which degenerates our understanding of them to firsts associated with
them, making our understanding of something that is internal. The alternative
is to regard them in terms of their true causes, which are external or
extrinsic, and may be multiple for the same (indistinguishable internally)
cases.

A couple of examples are 1) spectral lines that can be produced by more than
one transition that nonetheless indicate the same energy levels, and 2) isomers
of compounds when they are regarded just in terms of stoichiometric relations,
ignoring their chirality.

John Collier
Professor Emeritus, UKZN
http://web.ncf.ca/collier