> On Jul 1, 2016, at 1:03 PM, Jerry Rhee <jerryr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Thank you for that earnest answer.  The reason why I asked whether you
> thought what I said was religious or theological was to ask about your
> reaction to its systematicity.  Whichever word stands for more systematic,
> that’s what I meant.

Oh. I tend to see both those topics as orthogonal to systematicity. Certainly
there’s a lot of systematic theology but I don’t think all is. (Think Anselm
for instance)

With regards to systemizing I think it’s quite useful when you have a lot of
data for a particular area. When you don’t I think it often obscures as much as
it illuminates. In those cases one should be primarily focused on inquiry —
finding helpful things to measure. Although as we’ve seen in physics the past
few decades sometimes you want data but can’t quite seem to find it. So one is
left with a system no one is very satisfied with.

> Here is my attitude:
>
> “The gods do not approve of man’s trying to seek out what they did not wish
> to reveal, the things in heaven and beneath the earth.
>
> A pious man will therefore not investigate the divine things but only the
> human things, the things left to man’s investigation.” ~Strauss

Yeah, my view is don’t cut off the way of inquiry. It’s just that inquiry in
religion is rather difficult. We’re in a far worse position than say physicists
trying to figure out what dark matter or dark energy are, or trying to
reconcile quantum gravity. However that doesn’t mean we shouldn’t try.

Exactly how one applies pragmatism will depend upon what experiences one is
analyzing. Peirce only went as far as some very vague and broad experiences in
Neglected Argument.  Perhaps that’s all available although obviously not
everyone agrees. (Which doesn’t mean they’re right of course)