Just to reinforce Jon’s post just now, here is the full text of CP 6.24 (or
EP1:292-3, 1891):

[[ 24.   The old dualistic notion of mind and matter, so prominent in
Cartesianism, as two radically different kinds of substance, will hardly find
defenders today. Rejecting this, we are driven to some form of hylopathy,
otherwise called monism. Then the question arises whether physical laws on the
one hand and the psychical law on the other are to be taken

(a) as independent, a doctrine often called monism, but which I would name
neutralism; or,

(b) the psychical law as derived and special, the physical law alone as
primordial, which is materialism; or,

(c) the physical law as derived and special, the psychical law alone as
primordial, which is idealism.

The materialistic doctrine seems to me quite as repugnant to scientific logic
as to common sense; since it requires us to suppose that a certain kind of
mechanism will feel, which would be a hypothesis absolutely irreducible to
reason,— an ultimate, inexplicable regularity; while the only possible
justification of any theory is that it should make things clear and reasonable.

Neutralism is sufficiently condemned by the logical maxim known as Ockham's
razor, i.e., that not more independent elements are to be supposed than
necessary. By placing the inward and outward aspects of substance on a par, it
seems to render both primordial.

25.   The one intelligible theory of the universe is that of objective
idealism, that matter is effete mind, inveterate habits becoming physical laws.
]]

Gary f.