Jeff, list,

I agree that Peirce's post-1903 distinctions are semeiotic developments of
more basic logical (or ontological) distinctions, or as you put it, "at
root, the same basic conceptual distinctions worked out in more refined
ways. The new terminology of immediate and dynamical for objects and
interpretants is used to capture finer distinctions involving much finer
grained explanations ." But in the case of the objects, I don't think that
any of his earlier expressions of the basic distinction express the need for
it more clearly than the 1906 text I quoted: the distinction is needed to
resolve the seeming paradox that the real Object of a thought-sign has to be
both independent of and internal to the sign. The cognitive paradox is well
expressed in this quotation which Peirce cited in his Century Dictionary
definition of "thought":

[[ Thought is, in every case, the cognition of an object, which really,
actually, existentially out of thought, is ideally, intellectually,
intelligibly within it; and just because within in the latter sense, is it
known as actually without in the former.

- G.J. Stokes, The Objectivity of Truth (1884), p. 53 ]]

A similar paradox applies to any cognitive sign which has a dynamic
interpretant, i.e. an effect on the reality external to the sign.

Gary f.