Jon, Jeff, list,

Jon, to answer your question to me that’s embedded near the end of your post,
yes, you’ve gone a long way here toward a schema of the interpretants that
makes sense to me, and is entirely compatible with SS 111 (1909) (also included
in your post), which to me is Peirce’s clearest statement of the matter. Based
on that, I think we can say that the immediate interpretant is the least
determinate of the three, and yet it determines the dynamic interpretant in the
sense that it constrains (puts some vague limits around) the possible behavior
resulting from the communication. But I’m not sure how all this maps onto
Jeff’s three-strata diagram. I’ll have to look into that further. And maybe
compare it with Vinicius Romanini’s “solenoid of semiosis,”
http://www.minutesemeiotic.org/?p=30. which is a somewhat different attempt at
a “minute” classification of sign types.

One feature of the “solenoid” that appeals to me strongly is the recursive
character that’s built into it (and is not evident in Jeff’s diagram). The
recursive character of semiosis is perhaps the central idea of my book Turning
Signs, and it’s one idea that I did not get from Peirce. However I’ve realized
recently that it’s virtually(!) present in Peirce’s concept of continuity,
because he shows in the 1892 “Architecture of Theories” and again in the
Cambridge lectures of 1898 that a truly continuous line must “return into
itself” (because if it had beginning or end points at any finite distance from
other points, they would be discontinuities). He didn’t really apply this to
his analysis of semiosis, though he comes close to it now and then, and I think
it’s fully compatible with the idea of recursiveness that I picked up from
biology and neuroscience. Peirce’s “habit” (or “habit-change”) is his ultimate
logical interpretant, but in my diagram it’s also the basis of the “guidance
system” which determines behavior.

Not sure if that’s a digression or not …

Gary f.

} Her untitled mamafesta memorialising the Mosthighest has gone by many names
at disjointed times. [Finnegans Wake 104] {

 <http://gnusystems.ca/wp/> http://gnusystems.ca/wp/ }{ Turning Signs gateway