Hi Mike, list:

Here is something by Peir...uh, I mean Plato and Emerson.
If only Peirce, then it should be treated as new information.

*"For everything that exists there are three instruments by which the
knowledge of it is necessarily imparted; fourth, there is the knowledge
itself, and, as fifth, we must count the thing itself which is known and
truly exists.*

*Athenian Stranger. I mean that we know the essence, and that we know the
definition of the essence, and the name — these are the three; and there
are two questions which may be raised about anything.*

*Cleinias. How two?*

*Stranger. Sometimes **a person may give** the name and ask the definition;
or he may give the definition and ask the name.*

The old Sphinx bit her thick lip,--
Said, "Who taught thee me to name?
I am the spirit, yoke-fellow;

*Of thine eye I am eyebeam.*

*You can write down the word “star”; but that does not make you the creator
of the word, nor if you erase it have you destroyed the word.*

*Symbols grow. They come into being by development out of other signs,
particularly from likenesses or from mixed signs partaking of the nature of
likenesses and symbols. *

*The symbol may, with Emerson’s sphynx, (8)
<https://www.marxists.org/reference/subject/philosophy/works/us/peirce1.htm#8>
say
to man,*

*Of thine eye I am eyebeam.*