Ben, list:

Thank you for that contribution!  I wish to extend that conversation:

“How can a creature so place himself at the point of view of his Creator?”

“The natural way of doing this is to start from the things which are more
knowable and obvious to us and proceed towards those which are clearer and
more knowable by nature”

“For what is “first for us” is not the philosophic understanding of the
city but that understanding which is inherent in the city as such…according
to which the city sees itself as subject and subservient to the divine in
the ordinary understanding of the divine or looks up to it.

*Only by beginning at this point* will we be open to the full impact of the
all-important question which is coeval with philosophy although the
philosophers do not frequently pronounce it- the question **quid sit deus**.”

~City and Man

This was one of the sources of his great appeal to students. He began where
they began and showed them that they had not reflected on the
presuppositions of their science or their politics and that these
presuppositions had been reflected on by great men whom we have for all
practical purposes forgotten how to read. The study of those thinkers
became both a necessity and a delight. This was Leo Strauss' only rhetoric…

Moreover, the critique of the principles of social science was accompanied
by an effort to look at political things as they first come to sight, to
rediscover the phenomena which were transformed or reduced by the new
methods. Strauss was dedicated to the restoration of a rich and concrete
natural consciousness of the political phenomenon. His truly astounding
clarity and freshness in describing the things around us came in large
measure from the way he used old books to liberate himself from the
categories which bind us.

~Bloom on Strauss

http://www.dhspriory.org/kenny/PhilTexts/Strauss/BloomsleoStrauss.pdf

*Ronna:* Did he think he was doing what Strauss was doing?
*Seth:* That never came up. I do remember him saying, toward the end of his
life, "Oh, I now realize you always knew this. But I've just come to
recognize how central the question *'Quid sit deus?'*is."

One two three…

sign object interpretant… object sign interpretant…

What is God?  what would God be?  God…

What would God be?  what is God?  God…

Hth,
Jerry R