Edwina, list:

haha!  It just hit me that

(*B*, that which goes from surprise to suspect is true)

can be re-written as:

(*B*, Hence, *there is* *reason* to suspect is true).

That is, B = reasons, accounts, justifications, support for interpretant
(what the commens says).

For example,
B = "Consider what effects..." is one justification or account, whereas,

B = CP 5.189 is an alternative one, the best one, and the best one because
one two three... C A B...  esthetics ethics logic... spiritedness desire
reason...
icon index symbol... object sign interpretant... First Second Third...

CP 5.189 is the inference to the best explanation for
pragmaticism/pragmatic maxim because reasons given in uberty.  And it works
with the following:

*If you carefully consider the question of pragmatism you will see that it
is nothing else than the question of the logic of abduction. *

*That is, pragmatism proposes a certain maxim which, if sound, must render
needless any further rule as to the admissibility of hypotheses to rank as
hypotheses, that is to say, as explanations of phenomena held as hopeful
suggestions; and, furthermore, this is all that the maxim of pragmatism
really pretends to do, at least so far as it is confined to logic, and is
not understood as a proposition in psychology.*

Best,
Jerry Rhee