  From: Gary Richmond
  To: Peirce-L
  Sent: Friday, October 14, 2016 4:29 PM
  Subject: Re: [PEIRCE-L] Peirce's Cosmology

  Jon, Edwina, Gary F, Soren, List,

  John Sheriff, in Charles Peirce's Guess at the Riddle: Grounds for Human
Significance, in commenting on what Peirce calls the "pure zero" state (which,
in my thinking, is roughly equivalent to the later blackboard metaphor) quotes
Peirce as follows: "So of potential being there was in that initial state no
lack" (CP 6.217) and continues, " 'Potential', in Peirce's usage, means
indeterminate yet capable of determination in any specific case" (CP 6.185-86)
[Sheriff, 4). This "potential being" is, then, decidedly not the "nothing of
negation," but rather "the germinal nothing, in which the whole universe is
involved or foreshadowed" (CP 6.217).

  Sheriff had just prior to this written: "Peirce frequently drew the parallel
between his theory and the Genesis account" and discusses this in a longish
paragraph. I think it is possible to overemphasize this "parallel" (and, as
I've commented here in the past, Peirce's "pure zero"--or ur-continuity in the
blackboard metaphor--seems to me closer to the Kemetic Nun in the dominant
Ancient Egyptian creation myth; while it should be noted in this regard that
Peirce knew hieroglyphics and may well have been acquainted with this myth).

  Jon wrote:

    [M]y current working hypothesis is that "Pure mind, as creative of thought"
(CP 6.490) is the Person who conceives the possible chalk marks and then draws
some of them on the blackboard, rather than the blackboard itself as a
"theater" where chalk marks somehow spontaneously appear; instead, the
blackboard represents created Thirdness.  However, I will tentatively grant
that your analysis may be closer to what Peirce himself had in mind.

  I would tend to disagree with you, Jon, that this ur-continutiy is "created"
3ns; rather, I see it as "creative" 3ns as distinguished from the 3ns that
become the habits and laws of a created universe. So, in a word, my view is
that only these laws and habits are the 'created' 3nses.

  One way of considering this is via the Ancient Egyptian myths just mentioned.
In these Kemetic myths there is "one incomprehensible Power, alone, unique,
inherent in the Nun, the indefiniable cosmic sea, the infinite source of the
Universe, outside of any notion of Space or Time." At Heliopolis this Power,
the Creator, is given the name, Atum, "which means both All and Nothing
[involving] the potential totality of the Universe which is as yet unformed and
intangible. . . Atum must. . . distinguish himself from the Nun and thus
annihilate the Nun in its original inert state." (all quotations are from Lucie
Lamy's book, Egyptian Mysteries: New light on ancient knowledge, p 8, a
popularization of her grandfather, R. A. Schwaller de Lubicz's, great scholarly
work in Egyptology, still not as influential in that field as it ought to be in
my opinion).

  I won't go further into this myth now except to note that even at this
'stage' of proto-creation that the above "first act is expressed in three major
ways" such that Atum, as tum in Nun, "projects" himself as Khepri (that is,
becoming, or potential). All the neteru ('powers' according to S. de Lubicz,
but usually translated incorrectly as 'gods') will follow from that priordial
'act'.

  Although there might now be this disagreement as to what the ur-continuity
represents, I would not disagree with you whatsoever, Jon, in your view that it
was Peirce's belief that God is "Really creator of all three Universes of
Experience" since opposition to this view would fly in the face of Peirce own
words:  "The word 'God' ... is the definable proper name, signifying Ens
necessarium; in my belief Really creator of all three Universes of Experience"
(CP 6.452). How can one deny Peirce's own words here?

  Returning now to Sheriff's book, after a fascinating Preface (which, for one
example, makes pointed reference to Stephen Hawking's essay, "A Unified Theory
of the Universe Would Be the Ultimate Triumph of Human Reason"), Chapter 1,
"Peirce's Cosmogonic Philosophy" opens with this quote:"[T]he problem of how
genuine triadic relations first arose in the world is a better, because more
definite, formulation of the problem of how life came about."(6.322)

  Moving on to another topic taken up in this thread, Edwina's claim that
everything is semiosic does not seem to acknowledge the pervasive use of the
categories throughout Peirce's oevre which does not pertain to semiotics as
such, including his classification of the sciences (as you mentioned), nor the
placement of the first of the cenoscopic sciences, viz., phenomenology, well
ahead of logic as semeiotic in this classification, nor the content of
phenomenology itself, concerned explicitly with categorial relations in
themselves (and there is much, much else which Peirce emphatically associated
with the categories which is not semeiotic).

  But considering for now just Peirce's Classification of the Sciences, Beverly
Kent, who wrote the only book length monograph on the topic, Charles S. Peirce:
Logic and the Classification of the Sciences, has a number of things to say
about the categories in relation to the classification. For example, after
mentioning that one of his earliest classification schemes was based on the
categories, Kent comments: "Fearing that his trichotomic might be misleading
him, he set it aside and developed alternative schemes, only to find himself
ineluctably led back. Even so, it was some time before he conceded that the
resulting divisions conformed to his categories" (Kent, 19). Phyllis Chiasson,
as I recall, makes much the same point.

  Kent later remarks that regarding his final Outline Classification of the
Sciences (which he stuck with, prefaced virtually all his subsequent works in
logic with, and thought "sufficiently satisfactory" as late as 1911), that
Peirce wrote that "most of the divisions are 'trichotomic' " (Kent, 121) in the
sense of involving the three categories (much as Jon outlined them in a recent
post).

  Best,

  Gary R

  Gary Richmond
  Philosophy and Critical Thinking
  Communication Studies
  LaGuardia College of the City University of New York
  C 745
  718 482-5690

  On Thu, Oct 13, 2016 at 8:51 PM, Jon Alan Schmidt <jonalanschm...@gmail.com>