Edwina, List:

ET:  I don't agree that the 'blackboard' exists, and as a homogeneity - it
is not the same as Thirdness, which is habit.

Of course the blackboard does not *exist*, since its reality--or rather,
the reality of what it represents in Peirce's diagram--precedes the
emergence of *any* actuality.  Thirdness is not confined to habit alone;
homogeneity is an aspect of *continuity*, which is also Thirdness.  So is
*generality*.

ET:  The blackboard, is BEFORE the three categories. Peirce even says it is
'utter vagueness' - and that's nothing to do with the three categories.

If the three categories together constitute *all* of reality, as Peirce
held, then how could *anything *be before them?  Vagueness is another word
for *indeterminacy*, which is characteristic of both Firstness and
Thirdness; only that which falls under Secondness is *determinate*, and
thus subject to both the law of contradiction (not vague) and the law of
excluded middle (not general).

ET:  i certainly don't accept 'other-generated' for then, we have to go to
'what generated this other power'?

Only if we presuppose that there is no *Ens necessarium*, Being whose
reality is eternal and uncreated.  I suppose we could say that the choice
is between a self-generating universe and a self-sufficient Creator; again,
it is then a matter of which one each of us finds more plausible.

Regards,

Jon