Gary F., List:

Thank you for those references.  I was thinking about conducting a search
myself, and you have saved me the trouble, although I may still do some
digging through CP.  I will take a look as soon as I can, although I am
traveling tonight and tomorrow and do not have my hard copy of EP 2 with me.

Jon Alan Schmidt - Olathe, Kansas, USA
Professional Engineer, Amateur Philosopher, Lutheran Layman -

On Thu, Oct 13, 2016 at 5:03 PM, <> wrote:

> Jon, Gary R et al.,
> I’ve been away for a couple of days and haven’t yet caught up with the
> discussion. However I’ve done a bit of searching through Peirce’s late
> texts to see whether I could confirm your suggestion that Peirce “seems
> to have shifted toward discussing "Universes" rather than "categories.” I
> found a couple of extended discussions of the difference between
> “Categories” and “Universes,” one in the “Prologemena” of 1906. But I also
> found two other places where Peirce writes of “the three Universes”: the
> long letter to Welby of Dec. 1908 (EP2:478 ff.) and a 1909 letter to James
> (EP2:497). He doesn’t refer to Categories in these letters, so that would
> seem to support your suggestion. I found very little that uses *either*
> term from 1909 on.
> I see that Gary R. has corrected me on my reference to the
> ‘ur-continuity’, and I’ll leave any further comments on that until I catch
> up with the thread.
> Gary f.
to this message. PEIRCE-L posts should go to . To
UNSUBSCRIBE, send a message not to PEIRCE-L but to with the
line "UNSubscribe PEIRCE-L" in the BODY of the message. More at .