While reviewing the letters to Lady Welby that are in EP 2.477-491, I
noticed that Peirce only explicitly employed his terms for the constituents
of the three Universes (Possibles/Existents/Necessitants) to the Sign
itself, the Dynamoid or Dynamical Object, and the Immediate Object.  He
then implied that they can also be used for the three Interpretants--here
called Destinate, Effective, and Explicit--by including the latter in the
order of determination after stating the well-known rule that "a Possible
can determine nothing but a Possible ... a Necessitant can be determined by
nothing but a Necessitant."  However, as I have suggested previously, the
three Interpretants *themselves *seem to be more properly characterized as
possible (Immediate), actual (Dynamic), and habitual (Final), with each
divided into feeling/action/thought.

Peirce went on to say that the four semeiotic relations--Sign to Dynamical
Object, Sign to Dynamical Interpretant, Sign to Normal Interpretant, and
(triadic) Sign to Dynamical Object and Normal Interpretant--also "appear to
me to be all Trichotomies."  However, he never definitively stipulated on
what basis they were thus to be divided, instead merely suggesting three
descriptive terms in each case.  The only hint is his remark that applying
the same rule to all ten trichotomies would produce just 66 sign classes,
rather than 59,049.

This raises the question of whether a relation, as such, also must belong
to one of the three Universes.  If so, what exactly does it mean for a
*relation
*to be an Idea vs. a Thing or Fact vs. a Habit or Law or Continuum?  In
particular, what exactly does it mean to align each of the *semeiotic
*relations
with these three Universes--the S-O relation of icon/index/symbol, the S-I
relations of rheme/dicent/argument (nature of influence) and
presented/urged/submitted (manner of appeal), and the S-O-I relation of
assurance by instinct/experience/form?  Is anyone aware of anything in the
literature that addresses these specific questions?

Thanks,

Jon