Gary R., List:

Jappy's paper is from earlier this year, and his book is not even out yet,
so his hypothesis obviously has not been vetted much so far.  I agree that
he may be overstating the magnitude of Peirce's alleged change in
theoretical framework; I brought it up because I find it interesting and
would like to know if it holds any water.  Ditto for my impression that
Peirce referred only to Universes rather than Categories late in his life;
I have no agenda there and would welcome evidence to the contrary.  Your
point about his isolation during that time period is well-taken.

Thanks,

Jon