Hi Jon S, Gary R, List,

Let me try to simply matters considerably. It will involve a number of
oversimplifications, but I'm hoping it might help to address some questions you
are finding vexing.

Let us compare three different sorts of discussions of universes, realms and
categories:

1. The simple systems of formal algebraic and graphical logics--being developed
as a part of mathematics

2. The phenomenological inquiries.

3. The semiotic inquiries.

Peirce talks about three universes of experience as part of his
phenomenological inquiries. In the early pages of "A Neglected Argument," the
discussion of these universes is largely phenomenological in character.

In the development of the formal systems of algebraic logic and existential
graphs, Peirce builds various conceptions that model different universes of
discourse and categories. In these different formal systems, the universes and
modal notions are treated differently. For instance, the universes of discourse
are handled differently in the alpha, beta, and the various systems of the
gamma graphs.

In the development of the semiotic theory, he uses the formal systems of
logical for the purpose of refining the classifications and explanations of the
sign relations and patterns of inference. At this point, he needs a
philosophical interpretation of the mathematical models--including
interpretations of what a sheet of assertion means in the context of the alpha
graphs, the beta graphs, and the various versions of the gamma graphs.

It might be helpful to think of the phenomenological inquiries concerning the
three universes of experience as remarks concerning the more "global" features
of our observations--where those observations are informing the classifications
and philosophical explanations that being generated in the semiotic theory.

Each of these three lines of inquiry--formal logic as a part of mathematics,
phenomenological, and semiotic--are informing the others, but in different
ways. For instance, in the context of the formal logic, Peirce sees no need to
pick between the different ways of conceiving of the universes of discourse and
the modal features of the assertions. The alpha system of graphs can make do
with a much simpler version of a universe of discourse than is needed for the
various systems of the gamma graphs. It isn't the case that one version is
right or wrong. They are just different formal systems--like the different
systems of numbers (e.g., rationals, reals, surreals) or different systems
involving continuity (e.g., topology of one two or three dimensions, projective
geometry, metrical geometries). Clearly, some of these different formal systems
are more "basic" than the others in some senses, but we should remember that,
in the final analysis, they are just different formal systems starting with
different sets of initial definitions, postulates and axioms. We seek to build
formal system that manifest virtues such as balance and symmetry, but even the
systems that lack these virtues may be of some special interest for particular
problems.

Of course, when we move from these three forms of inquiry to metaphysics, we
then need to press the question: what it the best explanation of the nature of
what exists as objects and what is real as general? At this point, we can then
make use of the prior work that has been done in the math, phenomenology and
logic to address the questions of cosmological metaphysics that are so
interesting--but hard to answer well.

--Jeff

Jeffrey Downard
Associate Professor