> On Oct 22, 2016, at 2:52 PM, Edwina Taborsky <tabor...@primus.ca> wrote:
>
> The problem is, Gary, that you and Jon are both theists and both of you
> reject the 'Big Bang'. I am an atheist and support the 'Big Bang'. Therefore,
> both sides in this debate select sections from Peirce to which we feel
> compatible. Yet - as I keep saying, both views are empirically outside of any
> possibility of proof or TRUTH. You either believe in one OR the other [or
> some other theory].

I confess I don’t understand this disagreement, especially if it is coming in
with our priors regarding theology. It seems to me the big bang is largely
orthogonal to such questions. For one, most physics doesn’t see the big bang as
the beginning of everything. The inflationary models at this point are quite
old and widely accepted. String theory has its branes which float in higher
dimensional space. Loop quantum gravity has bubble universes more akin to the
original inflationary models. And some theorists reject them all and say all we
have empirical evidence for is this universe.

i.e. it would seem both options are pretty open to atheists and theists of
various stripes

> You try to substantiate that Peirce followed the same view as yours by
> defining his 'earlier work' as something that he moved away from and
> rejected. I don't see any evidence of this. I admit that I can't explain the
> NA - and I don't even attempt to do so - but - I don't find any evidence of
> Peirce rejecting the 1.412 argument - and other arguments about the
> self-organization and evolution of the universe [tychasm, agapasm].

I tend to agree with you here Edwina. I don’t quite see big contradictions
between his later more Hegelian work with the more neoplatonic work of the late
1880’s. Evolution yes. But I don’t see him moving away from the earlier
positions.

But I suspect part of this is how to interpret those earlier passages in 1.412.
I’m largely convinced by Parker here. (Regarding Peirce anyway - I’m not sure I
buy the ontology itself)