John, List:

My initial thought when I read your post was that your identification of
three different "kinds of time" might align nicely with the points of view
of the three Categories that Nicholas Guardiano adopted to analyze Peirce's
cosmogony in the paper that I linked yesterday in the thread on
"Super-Order and the Logic of Continuity."  However, after re-reading that
paper, I am not so sure; such an approach would result in the following
arrangement.

   - Imaginary time = Firstness perspective = continuum (3ns) -> Platonic
   worlds (1ns) -> existing universe (2ns).
   - Factual time = Secondness perspective = spontaneity (1ns) -> reaction
   (2ns) -> habit-taking (3ns).
   - Theoretical time = Thirdness perspective = chaos (1ns) -> process
   (3ns) -> regularity (2ns).

Guardiano specifically discusses temporality near the end of his paper, and
even singles out "the big bang theory" for criticism because of "its
temporal nature and the need for its explanatory cause prior in time."  By
contrast, he claims that Peirce's cosmology "avoids this problem" because
"Its cosmogonic stages … appear to be inherent logical implications of the
given facts of phenomena," which "all suggest a primordial reality that is
more than the same but merely earlier in time."

In fact, it seems to me that Guardiano's Secondness and Thirdness accounts
both have a temporal aspect, but his Firstness account does not.  The
Secondness perspective treats all three stages (1ns>2ns>3ns) as distinct
temporal events in the past, which is a specific reason that Peirce gave in
R 842 for being ultimately unsatisfied with it.  The Thirdness perspective
encompasses the entire scope of time, with the first stage (1ns) in the
infinite past, the second stage (3ns) ongoing, and the third stage (2ns) in
the infinite future.  The Firstness account places all three stages
(3ns>1ns>2ns) in the "past," but time itself does not actually begin until
the third stage (2ns).

With this in mind, it seems possible to integrate the three narratives.
Peirce's diagram makes it very clear that the continuum of highest
generality (clean blackboard) is primordial and underlies everything else
(3ns>1ns>2ns).  Both the Platonic worlds (merged collections of white marks
on the blackboard) and our existing universe (colored marks on one of the
resulting whiteboards) come about and continue to develop by means of
spontaneity, reaction, and habit-taking (1ns>2ns>3ns).  However, this
is a *temporal
*sequence only *within *our existing universe, and it *constitutes *the
ongoing process of its evolution from complete chaos to complete regularity
(1ns>3ns>2ns), which terminates if and when all habits become inveterate
such that there is only dead matter remaining.