Dear list:

From Aristotle, *Physics*:

“But we apprehend time only when we have marked motion, marking it by
‘before’ and ‘after’; and it is only when we have perceived ‘before’ and
‘after’ in motion that we say that time has elapsed.

Now we mark them by judging that A and B are different, and that some third
thing is intermediate to them. When we think of the extremes as different
from the middle and the mind pronounces that the ‘nows’ are two, one before
and one after, it is then that we say that there is time, and this that we
say is time. For what is bounded by the ‘now’ is thought to be time — we
may assume this.

On the other hand, when we do perceive a ‘before’ and an ‘after’, then we
say that there is time.

For time is just this — number of motion in respect of ‘before’ and
‘after’.”

one two three… C A B…  surprise matter of course suspect… still CP 5.189

Best,
Jerry Rhee