John Sowa, Jon Awbrey, Edwina, List,

I wanted to see if anyone have might suggestions for thinking about the analogy
between (1) mathematical models of the differentiation of spaces starting with
a vague continuum of undifferentiated dimensions and trending towards spaces
having determinate dimensions to (2) models for logic involving similar sorts
of dimensions?  How might we understand processes of differentiation of
dimensions in the case of logic?

John Sowa says:  We have to distinguish (1) time as it is in reality
(whatever that may be); (2) time in our stories (which include the
formalized stories called physics); (3) the mental sequence of
thought; and (4) the logical sequence (dialogic) of connected signs.

Let's focus on the (3) and (4). Recently, on the List, we've been examining
what Peirce's says in the last lecture of Reasoning and the Logic of Things
when he runs through a number of examples in mathematics (i.e., drawn largely
from projective geometry, number theory and topology), and then attempts to
clarify a logical conception of continuity.

Shortly thereafter, he indicates that he is trying to understand how the
logical principles that govern our patterns of inference might be subject to an
evolutionary process. I take him to making a comparison between how we might
conceive of the relationship between mathematical systems with a continuum of
vague dimensions--and how those might give rise to systems with more specific
numbers of dimensions having a more definite character. One illustration that
is offered involves the evolution of our experience of spatial dimensions where
we find ourselves in a cave of odors. One idea I take him to be exploring is
that the evolution of our subjective systems of logic (e.g. the way we sort out
different subjects and predicates that are involved in the propositions found
in the premisses and conclusions of an argument into a referential system
having different dimensions) can be understood by making a comparison with how
mathematical systems dimensions are related--ranging from those with a vague
continuum of dimensions to those with determinate dimension.

Do you have suggestions about how we might understand an analogy between models
of the evolution of mathematical dimensions and logical dimensions? In the
context of the later work on the EG, for instance, might we develop this
analogy by thinking about a model in which books having many sheets (e.g., of
interrogation, assertion, etc.) might evolve starting with those in which the
dimensions are vague and continuous to those that are more determinate?

Turning to point (2) above, John Sowa seems to suggest that relations of
relevance in context are quite fundamental for understanding how logical
relations might have evolved (i.e., in either a subjective logic or an
objective logic) How do such relations of relevance compare to relations of
similarity and dissimilarity (e.g., what Peirce calls equiparance and
disquiparance)? That is, do you have suggestions for thinking about the manner
in which relations of relevance within a context might bear on the connections
between vague predicates connected to indeterminate subjects arrayed in a book
consisting of a vague continuum of sheets of interrogation and assertion?

--Jeff

Jeffrey Downard
Associate Professor
Department of Philosophy