List,

Because of the Thanksgiving holiday, like Clark I too am a bit behind in my
reading and reflecting on the posts in this thread (I've managed to read
each one through but once). I hope to do much more reflecting by early next
week.

Meanwhile, my own sense is that one possible strength of Peirce's theory
lies in his philosophical* summum bonum*, namely, the notion of our seeking
the 'reasonable in itself'. It follows that--and here one perhaps
necessarily goes beyond a consideration of democracy--when this *summum
bonum* is offered in consideration, now not of mere science, but of what
have been called the 'wicked problems' confronting humanity and the world,
that one might hope for approaches (if not exactly solutions) which appear
reasonable for those communities of interest hoping to address them.
Regarding those 'wicked problems' (you probably have your own short list,
while mine, I must admit, is quite long),  Douglas Schuler today wrote:

There is no "answer" or "solution." I think the approach that we must take
(with no guarantees of success) is straightforward: we must build the
necessary intellectual-emotional-normative-social-organizational
infrastructure that *could* enable us to move forward. The name I use for
that is "civic intelligence."

Here's an online slideshow outlining Schuler's idea of 'civic intelligenc'.
http://www.slideshare.net/dougschuler/improving-civic-
intelligence-repairing-the-engine-on-a-moving-car

It seems to me that 'civic intelligence' is in some ways anticipated by
Peirce and, possibly, facilitated by certain ideas in his philosophy. I'll
leave it at that for now, but hope to connect Peirce's philosophy to
Schuler's approach (as well as that of my colleague, Aldo de Moor's
'community sense') next week. O

Best,

Gary R

[image: Gary Richmond]