Clark, List:

That strikes me as a sensible application of Peirce's self-proclaimed
"sentimental conservatism" (CP 1.661).  If "philosophical science" should
be allowed to "influence religion and morality ... only with secular
slowness and the most conservative caution" (CP 1.620), then it seems like
the same is true of proposed political solutions to perceived societal
problems.  Perhaps with a similar thought in mind, the Founders quite
intentionally designed an arrangement in which it is very difficult to
enact sweeping changes at the national level in the absence of broad
consensus.  When public opinion is polarized like it is right now, gridlock
in Washington is a *feature *of the system, not a *bug*--despite the
complaints that it routinely engenders from both sides of the aisle.