I have always been concerned about the implications of false information for
the definition of information. Is false information information? Is false
knowledge knowledge? I should think the answer must certainly be "No" for
knowledge, because to know is a factive verb, meaning that it presupposes the
truth of its object. I believe in common usage of 'information' in the
technical sense, as in information theory, false information would be
information even if it was false,  but information in the ordinary sense of the
word would not be information if it is false.

If, as I have argued, all signs are of a duplicitous nature, then this would be
a moot question, or at least a very different question.