Hello Gary R, John S, Gary F, Jon A, List,

I take the following passage to indicate that Peirce changed his use of "depth"
and "breadth" in some respects some time between 1867 and 1896. The change was
a broadening of the use of both terms.

I restricted myself to terms, because at the time this chapter was first
written (1867), I had not remarked that the whole doctrine of breadth and depth
was equally applicable to propositions and to arguments. The breadth of a
proposition is the aggregate of possible states of things in which it is true;
the breadth of an argument is the aggregate of possible cases to which it
applies. The depth of a proposition is the total of fact which it asserts of
the state of things to which it is applied; the depth of an argument is the
importance of the conclusions which it draws. In fact, every proposition and
every argument can be regarded as a term.--1893. (CP 2.407 Fn P1 p 249)

I wonder if other changes are involved that were required by this broadening in
the meaning of both of these terms?

Given the fact that the classification of signs as terms, propositions and
arguments is based in 1903 on the relation between the sign and the
interpretant--and that he later grounded the distinction on the relation
between the sign and the final interpretant in particular--I tend to think that
Peirce is reforming the early explanations in a number of ways--but it isn't
obvious to me what might count as natural development or refinement of the
earlier position and what might count as a more dramatic shift in position.

The distinction between different classes of final interpretants as emotional,
energetic or logical should give us some reason to reconsider how the
conceptions of "breadth" and "depth" work in the context of the mature semiotic
theory.

--Jeff

Jeffrey Downard
Associate Professor