Kirsti, list:

If the French style of writing relies on argumentation- within the text at
hand-

and it is assumed that any reader is thoroughly familiar with the sources,

then the reader ought to know that “see-my-otics” has a suffix that is of
Greek origin.

So, what is it we know about what the Greeks knew such that when Peirce
writes, he knew to write to that reader who knew what a Greek did know?

Well, at the very least, we ought to know that a Greek would know that:

“Greek philosophy seems to begin with an absurd notion, with the
proposition that *water* is the primal origin and the womb of all things.

Is it really necessary for us to take serious notice of this proposition?

It is, and for three reasons…

The *first* reason still leaves Thales in the company of the religious and
the superstitious;

the *second* takes him out of such company and shows him as a natural
scientist,

but the *third* makes him the first Greek philosopher.

Subsequent reflection comes with measuring devices and routinizing patterns
and tries to replace analogy with equation and synchronicity with
causality.

The Greeks, among whom Thales stood out so suddenly, were the very opposite
of realists, in that they believed only in the *reality of men and gods*,
looking upon all of nature as but a disguise, a masquerade, or a
metamorphosis of these god-men.

Man, for them was the truth and the core of all things;

everything else was but semblance and the play of illusion.  ..

Herein they were the exact opposite of modern man.  For us, even the most
personal is sublimated back into an abstraction; for them, the greatest
abstraction kept running into a person.

But Thales said, “Not man, but water is the reality of all things.”

Being a mathematician and astronomer, he had turned cold against everything
mythical and allegorical, and if he did not become quite sober enough to
reach the pure abstraction “all things are one,” instead remaining at a
concrete expression of it, he was nonetheless an alien rarity among the
Greeks of his time.

The Greek word designating “sage” is etymologically related to *sapio*, I
taste, *sapiens*, he who tastes, *sisyphos* the man of keenest taste.

A sharp savoring and selecting, a meaningful discriminating, in other
words, makes out the peculiar art of the philosopher, in the eyes of the
people.

Philosophy is distinguished from science by its selectivity and its
discrimination of the unusual, the astonishing, the difficult and the
divine, just as it is distinguished from intellectual cleverness by its
emphasis on the useless.

Science rushes headlong, without selectivity, without "taste," at whatever
is knowable, in the blind desire to know all at any cost.

Philosophical thinking, on the other hand, is ever on the scent of those
things which are most worth knowing, the great and the important insights.

Ethics, or the science of right and wrong, must appeal to Esthetics for aid
in determining the *summum bonum*. It is the theory of self-controlled, or
deliberate, conduct.

Now the concept of greatness is changeable, in the realm of morality as
well as in that of esthetics.

And so philosophy starts by legislating greatness.

Part of this is a sort of name-giving.

“Who taught thee me to name?”

*The philosopher seeks to hear within himself the echoes of the world
symphony and to re-project them in the form of concepts*.

"What verse is for the poet, dialectical thinking is for the philosopher.
He grasps for it in order to get hold of his own enchantment, in order to
perpetuate it.

And just as for the dramatist words and verse are but the stammering of an
alien tongue, needed to tell what he has seen and lived, what he could
utter directly only through music or gesture, just so every profound
philosophic intuition expressed through dialectic and through scientific
reflection is the only means for the philosopher to communicate what he has
seen.

But it is a sad means; basically a metaphoric and entirely unfaithful
translation into a totally different sphere and speech. Thus Thales had
seen the unity of all that is, but when he went to communicate it, he found
himself talking about water!”

~ Nietzsche, Tragic Age of the Greeks

*It rather annoys me to be told that there is anything novel in my three
categories; for if they have not, however confusedly, been recognized by
men since men began to think, that condemns them at once.  *

*To make them as distinct as it is in their nature to be is, however, no
small task*.”

~Peirce

Best,
Jerry Rhee