Clark,  Stephen R, list,

There a great deal I agree with in your post, Clark, but even more that I
disagree with. But I'll have to respond more fully at a later date. For now
just a few immediate reactions. I will have little to say on Heidegger as I
haven't read his work in years, and I recall thinking while I was reading
him that his emphasis on Being was, at least for me, the fixation on an
empty concept, while his discussions of meaning were for me too vague to be
of much value--at least to me. So, I'm hardly the person to engage on the
thought of Heidegger, let alone the putative relation of his thought to
Peirce's (which I don't see).

CG: Really quickly, how I took Kirsti (and please correct me if I’m reading
wrong) was just that initially Peirce’s focus was on the structure of signs
and later he was thinking through the structure in terms of meaningfulness
that led to some of the innovations in structure in the early 20th century.
(Such as those in his letters to Lady Welby)

But you will recall that his classification of signs and expansion of this
classification recently discussed here was an important part of his letters
to Victoria Welby. And in his late work, even his discussion of and
expansion of the notion of the Interpretant (meaning, as discussed in my
last post) has important structural features, not to be glossed over in my
opinion.

Yet let me  first clarify something regarding this discussion immediately.
Off-list Stephen Rose wrote (in part; he said he was fine with my sharing
this):

SR:  Is this forum an effort to establish scholarly precision about what
Peirce said or meant or understood? Or is is an attempt to use his ideas as
we understand them as relevant signposts to now? Maybe it is both. . .

This has come up a number of times on this list, a few times by Stephen. I
would say that certain members of this forum at times emphasize the
importance of clarifying what Peirce's thought, while others at times
emphasize using his ideas to further contemporary thought. But this appears
to be mainly a matter of *emphasis*, and it seems to me that some of the
strongest contributors to this forum see it as a both (that is certainly my
position).

Stephen continued: SR: ". . .this discussion seems to me to be related to
the former which is my problem with the effort."

I would say that this particular discussion is "both." But even if part of
the discussion--or even if all of it--were emphasizing what Peirce*
actually* wrote and thought and taught, what's wrong with that?

First, as I see it, if we *are* to reliably and creatively use Peirce's
ideas, we had best understand what he was trying to say. I don't know how
much "precision" is necessarily involved in many discussion, and I*
certainly* don't think that there is any "right" interpretation of Peirce,
who himself syggested that all meaning *must* remain *vague*. while
scientific meanings should aim at whatever precision is important so that
there might be sufficient communication among researchers so as to move the
inquiry forward as efficiently as possible (in an economy of research).

The purpose of the pragmatic maxim would seem to be to help "settle
opinion," which opinion can never be fully settled as the doctrine of
fallibism makes clear enough. But while there may be many possible
different 'good' interpretations of Peirce's thought, there are also some
'bad' interpretations which some on this list think that it is important to
correct.

There's much more to be said about this, but this will have to suffice for
now. Mainly, this side discussion is once again to warn against blocking
the way of inquiry. If one in not interested in a particular thread of
inquiry here, ignore it, and possibly start another thread.

But now continuing with Clark's recent comments:

CG: . . Indeed if Peirce’s thought had an outsized influence, I think it
safe to say it was his work on meaning not signs that was most influential.
It’s worth noting that neither James nor Dewey really fully embrace his
work on signs, only his work on meaning.

I do not at all think that "it is safe to say" that Peirce's work on
meaning has been more influential than his work in semiotics, especially in
recent decades. While it is true that James and Dewey didn't fully (really,
not all that mujch) embrace Peirce's work on signs. But this field of
modern semeiotics which Peirce had pretty much invented (although drawing
from Classical, Medieval, and other sources) was, naturally, both entirely
new to them and quite difficult to fully grasp (as it is even in our day,
although I see some considerable progress in this regard). As I see it,
neither James nor Dewey had studied enough of the developments in the logic
of Peirce's time to fully (much) understand his semiotic (this was
especially so for James, while Peirce did not think very much of Dewey's
work in logic).

CG:  Perhaps because it was his work on signs that quickly became so
forgotten except in vague ways from some of his popular early works that
continued to be reprinted. Certainly the key formulation from the end of
his life seem largely unknown.

But it is more and more *becoming* known, and I could, if I had the time,
point to many centers of semiotic (and related, e.g. KR) research around
the world which is developing his work. This is happening not only in
Europe (e.g. in Denmark, Spain, France, and elsewhere), but also in South
America (esp. Colombia and Brazil) and, more recently, in Asia (esp. China
and Japan). But it takes a long time for such significant work as
Peirce's1st to be "brought to light" and understood, 2nd to be promulgated,
and 3rd to be further developed and applied. The occasional disparagement
of Peirce's semeiotic on this list seems to me entirely wrong directed.

CG: The second thing I’d add is that the place of the pragmatic maxim is
crucial in all of this as a verification principle of meaning (not truth as
others took it). While one obviously can’t fully separate the maxim from
his work on signs, the place of meaningfulness as a key factor in his
thought in some ways exceeds his work on signs.

Again, while I agree with the important of, not only the pragmatic maxim,
but all of his work in pragmaticism, your notion that "the place of
meaningfulness . . . in some ways exceeds his work on signs" is  your
opinion, while many would disagree. I haven't time to discuss this at the
moment except to say that I am of that camp which would *strongly* disagree.

CG: Perhaps because it was his work on signs that quickly became so
forgotten except in vague ways from some of his popular early works that
continued to be reprinted. Certainly the key formulation from the end of
his life seem largely unknown.

The history of the growth of ideas is a peculiar one, and some of the most
important work in scence and logic (and much else, including art and
literature, for example, the great work of women in *all* these fields) was
ignored until it was fully understood, for example, by an intellect like
Peirce's. Let's hope that "the key formulations from the end of his life"
will eventually become known and valued as much as some on this list value
them--highly.

Best,

Gary R

[image: Gary Richmond]