-----Original Message-----
From: John F Sowa [mailto:s...@bestweb.net]
Sent: 11-Oct-17 23:39

Charles, Gary F, and Edwina,

Charles
> On what the sheet of assertions represents in EGs, I thought Peirce
> said it represents TRUTH...

Yes, but that is because a blank sheet in EGs is a graph that says nothing
false.  When I teach EG logic, I say "Silence is golden".

Charles
> if we frame a theory of language in terms of EG, that would explain
> the fact that language in general presupposes truth.

It's best not to read too much into the truth value of the blank.
Its meaning in the EG system is determined by the rules of inference and the
method of endoporeutic (outside-in evaluation) for determining the truth of any
graph.

Gary
> Peirce does say that the sheet of assertion represents the universe of
> discourse...

Yes.  And his rules of inference preserve truth.  So if you start with a blank
sheet, which is true in every possible universe of discourse, any statement you
derive from a blank sheet must be true in every universe of discourse.

In short, the blank is Peirce's only axiom.  Any statement derivable from the
blank is a theorem.  The negation of the blank is an empty oval, which is
always false.  Peirce called it the pseudograph.