List,

 

As I remarked in the other thread, this part of Lowell 3 illustrates several
significant points about definitions and terminological matters. 

 

As we all know, Peirce in his various writings provided dozens of
definitions of the word "sign," and no two of them are exactly alike. Why
couldn't he make do with one complete and exact definition, and simply
repeat it every time he needed to insert one?

 

First of all, "sign" is a word in common use, which entails that it gets
used in a range of senses, some of them quite vague. For purposes of exact
logic or semiotics, Peirce needs to narrow that range. The same goes for the
term "representation"; and he gives rough-and-ready definitions of both
terms in Lowell 3.13, both of which achieve that purpose to some extent.

 

Second, the contexts in which Peirce gives a definition of "sign" vary, and
I think this accounts for much of the variation in the definitions. This
variation gives us no reason to doubt that all Peirce's definitions of
"sign" are consistent with one another, or that they all express exactly the
same concept (to the extent that a concept can be exact).

 

But for his semiotic (i.e. scientific) purposes, Peirce also needs to make
an analytical definition of the concept, one that will identify its
essential elements. For that purpose he creates the technical term
"representamen," which is not in common use - in fact there's no entry for
it in most English dictionaries. That makes it much more suitable than
"sign" for analytic purposes, although its extension is supposed to match
that of "sign" as closely as possible. As a technical term, it can be
defined exactly by Peirce in the act of introducing it. Then, by defining a
"sign" as a representamen or a kind of representamen, he can provide an
exact definition of "sign" while also retaining the ordinary-language
signification of the word, which is more vague and more familiar.

 

There is a more detailed version of this double definition, with an
interesting example of the difference between "sign" and "representamen," in
the "Speculative Grammar" section of the Syllabus, EP2:272-3. I devoted some
commentary to that passage in Turning Signs,
http://gnusystems.ca/TS/cls.htm#sunflow, which interested readers can have a
look at.

 

Gary f.

 

From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] 
Sent: 13-Jan-18 15:09
To: [email protected]
Subject: [PEIRCE-L] Lowell Lecture 3.13

 

Continuing from Lowell 3.12,
https://fromthepage.com/jeffdown1/c-s-peirce-manuscripts/ms-464-465-1903-low
ell-lecture-iii-3rd-draught/display/13937: 

 

[540] The analysis which I have just used to give you some notion of Genuine
Thirdness and its two forms of degeneracy is the merest rough blackboard
sketch of the true state of things; and I must begin the examination of
representations by defining representation a little more accurately. In the
first place, as to my terminology, I confine the word Representation to the
operation of a sign or its relation to the object for the interpreter of the
representation. The concrete subject that represents I call a sign or a
representamen. I use these two words, sign and representamen, differently.
By a sign I mean anything which conveys any definite notion of an object in
any way, as such conveyers of thought are familiarly known to us. Now I
start with this familiar idea and make the best analysis I can of what is
essential to a sign, and I define a representamen as being whatever that
analysis applies to. If therefore I have committed an error in my analysis,
part of what I say about signs will be false. For in that case a sign may
not be a representamen. The analysis is certainly true of the representamen,
since that is all that word means. Even if my analysis is correct, something
may happen to be true of all signs, that is of everything that, antecedently
to any analysis, we should be willing to regard as conveying a notion of
anything, while there might be something which my analysis describes of
which the same thing is not true. In particular, all signs convey notions to
human minds; but I know no reason why every representamen should do so. 

 

[541] My definition of a representamen is as follows: 

A representamen is a subject of a triadic relation to a Second, called its
Object, for a Third, called its Interpretant, this triadic relation being
such that the Representamen determines its Interpretant to stand in the same
triadic relation to the same Object for some Interpretant. 

 

 

http://gnusystems.ca/Lowell3.htm }{ Peirce's Lowell Lectures of 1903

 

-----------------------------
PEIRCE-L subscribers: Click on "Reply List" or "Reply All" to REPLY ON PEIRCE-L 
to this message. PEIRCE-L posts should go to [email protected] . To 
UNSUBSCRIBE, send a message not to PEIRCE-L but to [email protected] with the 
line "UNSubscribe PEIRCE-L" in the BODY of the message. More at 
http://www.cspeirce.com/peirce-l/peirce-l.htm .




Reply via email to