Dear Gary, list,

*As a question of intellectual lineage, the link may be of minor
importance, but it becomes significant as soon as one recognizes the degree
to which certain crucial passages and themes in Schiller and in Peirce,
which have resisted comprehension, are mutually illuminating when seen
together.. *

For example,

*“**Moreover, signs require at least two Quasi-minds; a Quasi-utterer and
a Quasi-interpreter; and although these two are at one (i.e., are one mind)
in the sign itself, they must nevertheless be distinct.  In the Sign they
are, so to say, welded.”*

*To articulate the problem of cosmology means to answer the question of
what philosophy is or what a philosopher is..*

*But even that stranger from Elea did not discuss explicitly what a
philosopher is.  *

*He discussed explicitly two kinds of men which are easily mistaken for the
philosopher, the sophist and the statesman.  *

*The divisions of the **Sophist and the Statesman are caricatures..*

*By understanding both sophistry (in its highest as well as in its lower
meanings) and statesmanship, one will understand what philosophy is.  *

*Philosophy strives for knowledge of the whole.  The whole is the totality
of the parts.  The whole eludes us, but we know parts:  we possess partial
knowledge of parts…*

Beyond this, I will stay silent, for I believe there is life in staying mum.

Hth,
Jerry R