Gary f.

From: Jon Alan Schmidt <jonalanschm...@gmail.com>
Sent: 29-Jun-18 21:05

Gary F., List:

I would like to offer one minor amendment to the third paragraph of my previous
post.  A Sign only exists in Replicas--in itself, it is not the sort of thing
to which temporality applies--and a concrete instance of semiosis only occurs
when a Sign-Replica actually produces a Dynamic Interpretant in an interpreting
Quasi-mind.  Therefore, strictly speaking, it is the Sign-Replica that must
temporally precede the Dynamic Interpretant.  However, the Immediate
Interpretant is the Form that the Sign communicates by means of the
Sign-Replica; so it still seems right to say that the II temporally precedes
the DI.

In addition, I have now had a chance to study CP 4.583 a bit more closely.  I
think that the sentences that come right after what you quoted are highly
relevant.

CSP:  But it is not true, as ordinarily represented, that a proposition can be
built up of non-propositional signs. The truth is that concepts are nothing but
indefinite problematic judgments. The concept of man necessarily involves the
thought of the possible being of a man; and thus it is precisely the judgment,
"There may be a man."

The first statement affirms that propositions involve non-propositional Signs,
in the technical sense that we have been discussing, but cannot be constructed
from them; just as triads involve dyads, but cannot be constructed from them,
and likewise for dyads with respect to monads.  I suggest that this is because
a proposition's Copulative logical structure--i.e., the continuous
predicate--is not a Sign itself, but a relation among Signs.

The other two statements clarify what Peirce meant by saying that
"non-propositional signs can only exist as constituents of propositions"--the
concept of man is precisely the judgment that there may be a man.  This strikes
me as at least loosely equivalent to a point that I have acknowledged
before--the only logical difference between a Rheme and a proposition is that
all of the blanks of the latter are filled by subjects.  In that sense, a Rheme
is an incomplete proposition, just as a concept is an indefinite judgment; and
therefore its Replicas--such as "man" or "vase"--are effectively constituents
of Replicas of that incomplete (and rarely expressed) proposition.

Regards,

Jon S.

On Fri, Jun 29, 2018 at 4:36 PM, Jon Alan Schmidt <jonalanschm...@gmail.com