List,

Mats Bergman has written a review of Franceco's monograph.  Here is a link in
case you are interested:
https://ndpr.nd.edu/news/peirces-speculative-grammar-logic-as-semiotics/

Towards the end of the review, Bergman makes the following points:

The final developments of speculative grammar (discussed in chapter eight)
constitute a colossal challenge for the interpreter. Peirce's semiotic grows
rapidly, but these changes emerge mainly in unfinished manuscripts,
experimental notebook entries, and fragmentary correspondence. Many scholars
have become captivated by this potentially fertile but problematic phase -- and
especially by the 66-class system that Peirce envisioned. In these notoriously
perilous terrains, Bellucci adopts a cautious stance, stating that he is "not
concerned with finishing what Peirce left unfinished" (p. 352). This seems like
a sensible approach, but it is not always easy to sustain. As he documents
minute changes in ideas and terminology, Bellucci faces the challenges involved
in trying to put together a puzzle with many mismatched and missing pieces, and
he ends up streamlining certain aspects of Peirce's semiotic. To some extent,
this is inevitable; but there are instances where I believe that Bellucci does
not sufficiently consider contradictory evidence. For example, he confidently
asserts that only propositions and proposition-like signs have so-called
"immediate objects" (p. 294) -- that is, objects that are in some sense
internal to the representation afforded by the sign, in distinction from the
"dynamical" aspect of the object. This contention is backed up by Peirce's
tentative suggestion that signs can be classified as vague, singular, and
general according to the mode of the immediate object -- a partition that bears
more than passing resemblance to the traditional division of propositions
according to quantity. However, the existence of such a lineage does not
suffice to prove that Peirce would hold that terms or "rhemas" lack immediate
objects. Whatever analytical merits Bellucci's reconstruction may possess, it
is dubious from a strictly exegetical point of view. When Peirce directly
addresses the matter at hand -- e.g. in a 1907 letter to Giovanni Vailati --
his position is that all signs necessarily have immediate objects, while some
lack real dynamical objects.

I'm not able to find the 1907 letter of Vailati online or in other sources. If
anyone has a link or a copy they would be willing to share, I'd appreciate it.

For my part, I find the question of how we might interpret what Peirce says
about the immediate object to be of interest because of the light it might help
to shed on the division between possibles, existents and necessitants that is
guiding the classification of signs in the later works.

--Jeff

Jeffrey Downard
Associate Professor
Department of Philosophy